Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A rebirth, of sorts

Spring is finally in the air! Despite taking several ski trips this winter, and spending three weeks in the States, winter seemed extra long this year. Seeing as spring is a metaphor for new life, I have decided to give this blog a new life of its own. We'll see how long I can keep it up.

This weekend the cherry blossoms were in full bloom- a surefire sign that spring has arrived. I went to bask in their simple beauty this past weekend. I used to love the seeing the cherry blossoms in DC every spring, so I’m glad that it is one aspect of America I don’t have to miss. Of course, this being Seoul, everyone and their grandmother was out on the beautiful Easter Sunday that I decided to see the blossoms. But the sun was shining and the weather was warm- a nice respite from this year’s drawn out cold winter. It was nice to see the families gathered together on their blankets, children running around with balloons and grandparents playing catch with their grandchildren.

It made me think of my own family, which all had gathered together in Colorado for this year’s Easter celebration. Knowing such reunions are happening without me make me homesick, but I that’s the price I pay for living abroad.

My school sits at the tip top of a huge hill, nestled against Bukhansan- the mountain and national park that dominates Seoul ’s skyline to the north. Every morning I walk to school, huffing and puffing as I hike up the hill. Yesterday morning I took a rest for a minute and turned around- the hill I looked at in the distance was gorgeous. Covered with flowering trees, it was almost all pink and white. Why, after seven months of hiking that hill, had I never noticed that view before? Actually, I think I had, it’s just never been noteworthy before, as it’s seemed dead and brown for most of that time.

It has also been fun learning the names of the flowers in Korean with my students- kay-nari, jindalae, and but-goat are the three most important- forsythia, azalea, and cherry blossom.

My 27th birthday passed by just as quietly as Easter did. My fellow teachers and I enjoyed a cake and strawberries together that were generously provided by a friend of mine, and American Easter candy from my mother which conveniently arrived in the mail that same day. That same friend later came over and we had dinner together. It was not the most exciting of birthdays, but what can one expect on a Tuesday night a



nyway?

There wer even some fire breathers there!

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

aaw, Happy Birthday David!