Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Miracle Bridges and Birthday Parties


Time is flying by. I've already blown by my one month mark and am well into month number two. Not too much exciting has occurred, which is why I didn't write last week.

Last weekend Tanja and I went to see the "Miracle Floating Bridge" over the Han River before heading to our Korean class. It was put up for a festival last month but will be taken down soon. It was pretty cool. It's a footbridge that floats just below the surface so you have to wade through a foot of water while walking across. It did make you feel like you were walking on water. The one gross thing about it though, was that the bridge caught a lot of trash and debris which they did not clean up. So the water was pretty dirty. Whatever. I haven't gotten a foot fungus [yet]. The other river photo is of downtown Seoul. The gold building is Building 63--the tallest building in Korea at 63 stories high. I went up it my 3rd day in Korea. The photo of the sign is a fun example of some of their brilliant English. At least they try.

This past weekend Tanja found out the World Beach Volleyball Tour was going on, so we decided to see the beautiful people play volleyball. It was great time. Perfect summer weather too. It was hot and we got some sun. We watched the women from China and Brazil duke it out. Unfortunately, we had to get to class before it finished, but we were rooting for Brazil. When we left they had each won a set.

This week is shaping up to be a great one work-wise. Yesterday we had a birthday party for one of my preschoolers, Min Suh. Birthdays are great because the parents bring in cake and tons of fruit and chips. The cakes here taste amazing. They're very light and not greasy. So much better than most store bought cakes in the States. Today was Korean Memorial Day so we had the day off. I went out and partied with some friends last night so I didn't do much today. And another student, Tae Hyung, has a birthday tomorrow! Woohoo!
Min Suh blowing out his candles. In the group photo from left to right: You-ah, the Korean teacher I sharet his class with, In-Young, Tae Hyung, Joseph, Seung Yun, Yoo Jeen, Min Suh, Ji Soo, Tae Sun, Star, me, & Danny. Then there's a cute pic of Tae Hyung, whose birthday is tomorrow.

1 comment:

Laura Luth said...

When I come to visit I want cake and cherry tomatoes too.